[development] Re: enterprise needs

Simon Croome simon at croome.org
Mon Feb 27 01:54:46 UTC 2006

pat at linuxcolumbus.com wrote:
> The only thing Drupal lacks for enterprise acceptance is a marketing team
> and a price tag.
Yes, marketing directed at enterprises would help, if its more
enterprise users that Drupal wants.  (IMHO, most won't contribute back
to the community, Drupal service providers excepted).

I also work for a large enterprise (multinational investment bank), and
when we selected a CMS last year, Drupal didn't make the short list.  We
ended up with a very expensive system because it offered the following
features that either Drupal doesn't do, or maybe not to the level we
needed for our (granted industry-specific) requirements.

1.  True multi-language support.  All content and interfaces in multiple
languages, with workflow for helping translators.
2.  Content staging and approval workflow.
3.  Version control of everything (content, templates, images, etc.).
We needed to be able to see what was on our site on a given day.
4.  Multiple dev teams with their own dev servers, mastering their own
content.
5.  Multi-target publishing, with atomic copies and rollback.
6.  LDAP authentication and roles-based authorisation, or integration
with a product like Netegrity.

What we got in the end was basically a pimped up rcs/rsync (except for
the price tag of course!)

I really like Drupal, and am quite happy that it doesn't have all of
these features.  I don't think they would apply to the majority of users.

Cheers,
Simon