[development] multisite shared table upgrade enhancements (was what would be more useful)

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Mon Feb 27 05:18:39 UTC 2006

Daniel Convissor wrote:
> Hi:

> 2) Droping columns isn't being done for pgsql because it didn't support
> doing so prior to 7.4.  I'd like to add a database version check inside
> update.inc.  I'm planning on adding the version discovery solely to
> /update.php.  But I'm wondering if the core folks think would find it
> useful (and worth the cost) to add it for all connections via
> /includes/database.*.inc?

Maybe we should just drop support for Postgresql 7.3 and earlier.  7.4 was
released 2003-11-17, so it's over 2 years old now.  The current production
release is 8.1, although 8.0, 7.4 and 7.3 all appear to be supported by the
Postgres folks as well.

Does anyone know of a good reason to maintain support for 7.3 and earlier?
Dropping 7.3 seems like it would solve this problem with dropping columns, and
probably a few other problems as well.

..chris