[development] multisite shared table upgrade enhancements (was what would be more useful)

Piotr Krukowiecki piotr at mallorn.ii.uj.edu.pl
Mon Feb 27 08:24:29 UTC 2006

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:18:39PM -0600, Chris Johnson wrote:
> Daniel Convissor wrote:
> >Hi:
>
> >2) Droping columns isn't being done for pgsql because it didn't support

4.6 -> 4.7 update drops column for postgres (if there's an update that
doesn't do that, that's a bug).

> >doing so prior to 7.4.  I'd like to add a database version check inside

Postgres supports dropping columns since 7.3, not 7.4. For drupal 4.7 we
require postgresql 7.3 or newer.

> Maybe we should just drop support for Postgresql 7.3 and earlier.  7.4 was
> released 2003-11-17, so it's over 2 years old now.  The current production

Mysql 4.0.1 was released 2001-12-23. Last mysql 3.x was released
2003-11-11. Let's drop 3.x! ;)

> Does anyone know of a good reason to maintain support for 7.3 and earlier?
> Dropping 7.3 seems like it would solve this problem with dropping columns,
> and probably a few other problems as well.

There is only 1 problem with 7.3 that I know of, so far: it doesn't
support "anyelement" in CREATE FUNCTION, which is used to implement IF()
function. But that's easy if someone needs too (the best fix would be to
use CASE instead of IF...)

I don't have anything against dropping 7.3 support, but OTOH I don't see
any gains and "dropping" it would change nothing in fact.

--
Piotrek
irc: #debian.pl