[development] flickr - how to scale a php app

Benson Wong mostlygeek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 23:49:02 UTC 2006

That was a great presentation. I asked Cal to do the presentation for
us for the Vancouver PHP group last year. This was before they were
acquired by Yahoo. They still run MySQL, probably just more of the
same.

I haven't gone through the slides in a while, but some good points
from the presentation:

1. Vertical scaling (more code) vs Horizontal scaling (more machines)
2. MySQL slaves have to be same speed as masters
3. Replicating just parts of the database (search indexes) to slaves.

--
Benson Wong
Day: 604 691 1637