[development] Re: requiring pgsql >= 7.4 (was: ...upgrade enhancements)

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Tue Feb 28 01:16:49 UTC 2006

On Feb 27, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Daniel Convissor wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 07:30:35AM +0200, Adrian Rossouw wrote:
>> On 27 Feb 2006, at 7:18 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
>>> Does anyone know of a good reason to maintain support for 7.3 and
>>> earlier? Dropping 7.3 seems like it would solve this problem with
>>> dropping columns, and probably a few other problems as well.
>> +1
>
> Fine with me.  But before I put forth an upgrade system patch doing
> that,
> I'd like to hear from a few more core devs, please.

I'm hardly a core developer, but I know something of the demand for
PostgreSQL hosting.  In my experience at the low-to-mid level, very
very VERY few people use PostgreSQL.  Like, on the order of .05% of
hosted sites (including my own!).  Since PostgresSQL is a fairly rare
offering of commodity host, the providers that support it are more
likely to be on their tows.

Beyond that, sites that use PostgreSQL are going have advanced
technical requirements and better access to administrative support.
They're all going to be running a version more current than 7.3,
especially since we're talking about a minor revision update (7.4 or
higher), which is an easy upgrade.

If we leave someone behind, maybe they will volunteer to backport :)

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies