[development] why not just phptemplate in core?

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Mon Jan 2 06:59:01 UTC 2006

Tobias Maier wrote:
> I think it may confuse people that we ship a theme where the code is not
> similar compared with all other core themes.

Plain PHP themes are useful. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see
a way for a PHP template theme to control what features it offers or
which block regions are present. As far as I know the only way to
control these is in a plain PHP theme.

Standardizing on one templating system is okay, and I think PHP template
is an excellent choice. But I am not sure that it is ready and I do not
want to leave the extra layer of API in place if we do standardize on
one templating system.

I do think plain PHP themes are here to stay, so lets keep a
well-maintained example in core.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/