[development] kudos to Steven, and how to get rid of the resizing JS.

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Mon Jan 2 22:49:47 UTC 2006

Bèr Kessels wrote:

>I have, personally filed the term AJAX next to Flash and DHTML. Under usefull,
>but too often misused and overhyped. Too often it is used just because
>"everyone does it".

"Wordpress does it" was apparently the reasoning in this case.  :p

I haven't tried it yet, but I fail to see the usefullness of browser
textareas for more than two or three sentences anyway.

It is probably a case of "oh, shiny!!!!1!".

> Used for the sake of using it. Not that I am saying
>Drupal is going that way, but we must certainly be aware of it. And certainly
>start sticking dubious JS stuff in contrib (or even core) modules.
>
>Anyway. the form resizer broke on my theme. It broke my quicktags and it broke
>one version+theme of tinyMCE. All of wich I think are not bugs in core but in
>my theme, module and that version of mce with the specific theme. I was told
>before to make a patch to switch off the JS globally. But IMO that is not the
>correct route. Switching on and off development stuff on a user interface is
>not a good option, IMO.
>
>So, anyone here who knows how I can not have js in Drupal? Do I really need to
>develop a no_js.module that uses alter hooks for the forms? Or does anyone
>know a better route?

You can simple replace drupal.js by an empty file, I think. But I
actually like some of the JS stuff, but would like to maybe switch some
of them off (depending on the site). How do I do that?

Cheers,
    Gerhard