[development] let's cleanup /misc

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Thu Jan 5 17:35:34 UTC 2006

On 1/5/06 11:53 AM, Theodore Serbinski wrote:

> So let me start it off, the new directory structure should:
>
> 1. Improve the security of a Drupal install by keeping all files
> private, except for an index.php, no module or include files should be
> accessible from a web browser

And what then of contrib modules that use images / custom stylesheets / etc?

> 2. Core modules and includes should be completely seperated from extra
> downloaded modules and themes. This should make backing up things
> easier, as you only have to back up your "custom" folder instead of
> all of the main Drupal ones

this is already possible (i think) via multisite - i.e.
sites/example.com/modules can house site-specific modules.

> 3. The new structure should be multisite friendly. There should *not*
> be one files folder, but rather multiple ones, for multiple sites. You
> don't want that pr0n site on your multsite sharing the same images as
> your core business website, do you? ;-)

again, you can certainly set sites/example.com/files (we do this for
bryght sites)... the only caveat is that you can't force it from being
overridden in core now ... but since drupal won't be able to create new
folders if you're careful about file system permissions - you can
probably get away with it...

James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net