[development] let's cleanup /misc

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Thu Jan 5 17:46:37 UTC 2006

On 05 Jan 2006, at 11:37, Bèr Kessels wrote:
>> I'm OK with making such changes as soon consensus is reached.
>
> Okay, but how to reach that consensus? I am a bit afraid that if we
> want to
> reach this on the development ML, we won't reach this at all. :/

I think it is a good idea to optimize the directory structure for:

1. Security.  Separate public files from non-public files and make it
easy to move all non-public files out of the document root.

2. Ease of upgrades.  Separate system files from user files to make
it easy to upgrade, maintain or backup your Drupal website.

How do we reach consensus?  If there is no consensus, you'll have to
put more effort in it.  Continue to propose layouts that satisfy both
(1) and (2)?  Put all the proposed trees next to each other on a
single page along with a summary of their advantages and
disadvantages.  Next, create a script that converts and existing tree
to the "winning tree" so we can test it.  Later we can reuse the
script to upgrade existing sites.

Got it?  Do it!