[development] websiteoptimization.com css size

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 5 20:34:40 UTC 2006

I agree with Ber completely, and I reported this before too.

My experience that most users are unique, and hence caching of css is
not applicable. As a result, .css files are real bandwidth wasters (at
one point drupal.css was 12% of my bandwidth, with 8% going to my
theme's style).

As a sort of workaround, I compress the CSS from drupal.css as well as from
my theme, using one of these:

http://www.cssdrive.com/index.php/main/csscompressor/
http://cdburnerxp.se/cssparse/css_optimiser.php

I keep the original around or course, in case I need to make modifications,
diffs with newer releases, ...etc.