[development] let's cleanup /misc

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jan 5 21:09:59 UTC 2006

Why not combine all those under one directory (e.g. drupal) to reduce clutter.

> |-- app
> |-- sites
> |-- database
> |-- doc
> |-- includes (content similar to now)
> |-- script
> `-- vendor

drupal
|--
|  |-- app
|  |-- sites
|  |-- database
|  |-- doc
|  |-- includes (content similar to now)
|  |-- script
|  `-- vendor

(for me, I currently delete database and script anyway, for both
security and clutter.
If they are out of public_html, I don't mind them that much)

Another point is adding the "all" directory, and files under it and under sites.
|-- sites
|   |-- all
|   |   |-- files
|   |   |-- modules
|   |   `-- themes
|   |-- default
|   |   |-- files
|   |   |-- modules
|   |   `-- themes
|   |-- site1.com
|   |-- site2.com
|   `-- ...

Also, I am not sure what vendor is. Is this contributed modules?

> Some notes:
>
> themes, should be under public, they use images, CSS and more.

I tend to agree with this.

However, since modules are now out of the public_html directory, then
there will be copying involved when installing modules.

Or will the installer take care of that (having a prototype file that says
what files get where)?

> How supported are symlinks? can we rely on them?  if so, each contrib could be
> symlinked:
> /sites/default/modules/mymodule/stylesheets -> /public/stylesheets

I don't think we should rely on them, since some people host on Windows (not
to many). sepeck? What do you think?