[development] announcment: microcontent, an attempt to make drupal basics simpler.

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Jan 8 15:12:44 UTC 2006

Various times, I heard Dries talking about tasks he wants to see done easier.
Things he considers "basic stuff to do in Drupal". I stolea list from a mail
to the documentation list, but some points, IMO should be made *simple* in
Drupal. We can document how one does it, but the better way is to make code
to do this.

* 2. Setting up an about page.*
* 3. Setting up a contact page.*
* 6. Setting a mission statement and slogan.*
* 9. Figuring out the difference between 'story' and 'page' (and
grokking the node system).*

My shot at this, for sympal/drupalCOM is a module called microcontent. I want
to take this opportunity to get some input from the community on the workings
of this module.

* Every microcontent entry is a node.
* Every microcontent entry is available as a block (so this is also a
blocks-as-nodes module)
* You can choose "special" microcontent types. For now:
  * site summary (site title, site body)
  * mission (mission title, short mission, long mission)
  * site details (footer)

So the basic site setup is done trough our *content* areas. Blocks are
made/moderared trough our famous *content* user interfaces.

We could choose (we did so for sympal/drupalCOM) to prefill the database with
dummy missions (edit mission <= link)  and other dummy microcontent (about
page etc), but that would mean that the contrib module ships with an install
script.

No longer deeply hidden admin pages to change the mission, but living withing
the other content.
About pages, and a contact page will be part of my microcontent v2. in that v2
I want to integrate 3rd party modules, such as that contact.module, or other
modules that affect small pieces of user-end content on the site.

Please give some feedback, or ideas, because i want to release this module
before 4.7 ;)

  http://drupal.org/node/43839

---------
This, btw is Driess complete "what should be documented for noobs" list

1. Installing the Drupal database scheme and creating the first user
account.
2. Setting up an about page.
3. Setting up a contact page.
4. Creating a navigation menu/structure.
5. Adding one or more roles and configuring their permissions (eg.
allowing some users to create content, allowing some users to access
content).
6. Setting a mission statement and slogan.
7. Installing a new or different theme.
8. Setting a block in the side bar.
9. Figuring out the difference between 'story' and 'page' (and
grokking the node system).
10. Configuring cron.