[development] Tuning your server for optimal Drupal performance

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Jan 8 15:41:17 UTC 2006

Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> Kieran Lal wrote:
>
>> http://drupal.org/node/2601
>>
>> I have made some significant updates to this page.  Please review and
>> provide comments.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kieran
>
> path.module is costly? pathauto can be a killer on 4.6, but not path
> IMO. we still do all the lookups for aliases if path is disabled.

path.module is costly in 4.6 if you have several hand added aliases
(like we had on a site for every node of a certain type). Grabbing the
whole list of aliases into memory, then getting and returning the array
on *every* call to the get_normal_path, and flipping the array on *every
call* to this function is extremely costly! The fact that pathauto is
costly is because path.module is costly itself with a lot of aliases.
Pathauto only helps you to quickly have these enourmous number of aliases.

Goba