[development] Static Page Caching

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Tue Jan 10 16:38:56 UTC 2006

Mike Gifford wrote:

> On 9-Jan-06, at 4:22 PM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
>
>> http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/sandbox/jeremy/
>> filecache/?hideattic=0
>> would be great if you reimplemented this in modern drupal and
>> submitted for core review.
>

> Like many enhancements to Drupal, having them would be great.
> However, I would really like to know if this is seen as a general
> need in this community or not.

When Jeremy produced his patch, it was felt that this would not be the
case. However, nowadays there are many more high profile sites and I
think a patch like this would help them.

> I know it could go a long ways to reducing server loads, but would
> people use it?  More importantly, would there be enough people
> interested in this to develop a reverse bounty to see that it gets
> implemented properly?
>
> I'm not sure at this point that I've got the client base to fund all
> of this development internally.  We're building some requirements
> now, so will have a better sense of it fairly soon.
>
> Pages like this are very useful:
>     http://drupal.org/node/2601
>
> But it still isn't going to give you the snappy response that you'd
> get from a drupal page that has been cached as a static html page.  A
> program like jpcache (http://www.jpcache.com/), would be a bit slower
> than a static page because apache would have to load php, and then
> load the cached file (from a file or db), however it would still use
> a fraction of the resources that a drupal site would.
>
> The only reference to jpcache in drupal.org is:
>     http://drupal.org/node/12169
>
> There are a lot of issues to be considered with static page caching
> and I'm not sure how (or if) it is possible to accommodate multi-site
> installs.  Having a few folks contributing ideas, concerns,
> limitations would be great.

I think that multi-site installs would probably be possible. I also
think that you could maybe use htaccess to direct the user to a static
file if it exists and to Drupal otherwise.
Ie you'd have a directory /node and then there are cache files in it.

The main problem I see are access permissions. If you have a purely
public site, those would not be a problem.

> Latest NGO Launch -> Foundation for Iranian Studies - http://fis-
> iran.org/

Say, can you get us a Drupal translation to Farsi?

Cheers,
    Gerhard