[development] Module to Track RSS Subscribers

Nick Lewis nick at smartcampaigns.com
Mon Jan 16 20:51:42 UTC 2006

Khalid B wrote:

>Nick
>
>This is a good idea.
>
>However, instead of parsing the logs (which can be expensive), how
>about intercepting the logging as it happens and if it is node/feed,
>then write an entry to a special log.

I think this is a great idea. Maybe, instead of even intercepting, we
could all together prevent adding any additional overhead to the access
log by updating the info on cron, or when the user accesses the page for
rss logs?

So the flow would be:
1. Code executes when script accessed by user or cron
2. Code gets time stamp of the last update (from undecided place, as of
now) and filters through all page hits with path like .../feed.
3. For each new IP address, create a new record, and update existing IP
addresses cumulative number of accesses.

Then from that data, we could also create statistics on term, a blog
specific feeds, ect...

> That log would have the IP
>address, time of last access and cumulative number of accesses for
>that IP address?
>
>Or maybe all we need is additional indices on the existing table
>(although an index on the URL would be expensive).

The access logs already take up enough resources as it were, I think we
should consider using a databasetable.

>This could be part of statistics.module of course.

And I was sort of thinking this would be better in the core statistics
module as well. We already have enough extended tracking.modules -- I
think the world probably doesn't need another. Though, I would like to
extend the display of data to take advantage of modules like graphstat,
but that is another story.