[development] Module to Track RSS Subscribers

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Tue Jan 17 00:01:12 UTC 2006

Nick Lewis wrote:
> John, could you be more specific as to why AOL IP addresses have made
> your life miserable? If it just skews the results, blocking a bunch of
> subscribers to one IP I think I and others would be able to *live with
> that*.

One AOL user, requesting one page and then 20 other 'hits'
associated with it, can appear as either

a)  One IP, or
b)  21 IPs, or
c)  any number in between

Repeat for each request.

Same problem with load-balanced proxy servers (as used, inter alia,
by the entire UK academic network - or at least those universities
which run everyone through the joint cache servers).

IP-based *anything* - Just Say No.  It's *spectactularly* inaccurate
and, frankly, an amateur's mistake.

jh