[development] Module to Track RSS Subscribers

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:12:15 UTC 2006

On 1/16/06, Nick Lewis <nick at smartcampaigns.com> wrote:
> John Handelaar wrote:
>
> > IP-based *anything* - Just Say No.  It's *spectactularly* inaccurate
> > and, frankly, an amateur's mistake.
<snip>
> I disagree with the above assumption (though I acknowledge that it is
> correct -- in *some* ways, and in *some* situations) on the basis of
> personal experience.

If you're OK using the IP tracking, xstatistics.module already tracks
how many users request your feed at least once in the data in your
accesslog (as Adam Knight pointed out).  No extra overhead, no new
coding, it's done.

It does use IP, so it could present problems, but for most situations
it is a good generalization of what is going on.

John's solution of using the sessionID confuses me (can you expand a
bit more) but my understanding of it is that it either presents a
privacy problem or would be confusing to the user or both.

Regards,
Greg