[development] Administration user experience survey TODO: Blocks for roles

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Mon Jan 23 01:53:09 UTC 2006

Kieran Lal wrote:
> Hi, according to the survey the 3rd hardest thing for administrators  to
> do is to configure blocks for roles.
>
> It is possible to do this manually right now: http://drupal.org/node/
> 27690, http://drupal.org/node/13266 with PHP.
>
> This issue http://drupal.org/node/12988 addressed this issue, but has
> lost traction.  If someone could revive this I would appreciate it.

There should be adequate controls in core for this sort of thing without
PHP code. There should be some representation in the UI of what
visiblity settings are hard coded, such as invisible if empty or
invisible when the user doesn't have access. Such a UI can not fit on
one page and be usable since there are many possible visibility-related
options.

I'd like to see the implemented UI be a list of active visiblity
constraints with modify and delete controls when editable. A select of
option types (roles, node type, path-based, etc) and an add button would
be there for adding new constraints. The options for each constraint
(such as checkboxes for roles) would be on a separate page.

This system could potentially be implemented as an API, which would be
useful for contributed modules, such as sections. And it could
potentially provide an API for inserting new visibility control types
from a module.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/