[development] Temporary database credentials

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Tue Jan 24 18:33:23 UTC 2006

Like many hosting providers, we grant full access to databases for
site administrators, and we create a separate, rights-limited user
for each database.

This is a great idea until it's time to run update.php.   It really
should detect that I don't have DROP, ALTER, etc; but instead it just
fails badly.

What I've been doing is editing settings.php to replace the
credentials in $db_url, running update.php, and then re-editing the
file.  I'm sure that most of our users are just leaving things as-is,
which is bad for many reasons.

It would be nice to have a place to enter some temporary credentials,
stored in $_SESSION and disposed of when the user logs out.

a) Is this in-progress someplace?
b) Anybody have UI suggestions for this?  It could just go into
update.php, but may have use elsewhere.

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies