[development] Assigning user to roles programatically -- what finally worked

Rob Thorne rob at torenware.com
Sun Jan 29 22:39:55 UTC 2006

Much thanks to Adrian and Khalid for their help on this.

It turns out that both of you are right, but for different code paths in
hook_user.  Here's what seems to work in 4.6:

    * On $op == 'update',  Adrian is correct:  the right way to do this
      is to stuff the rid into the $edit structure ($edit['roles'][] =
      $my_rid;)
    * On $op == 'insert',  Adrian approach doesn't work, because
      user_save has already done everything it will ever do with the
      user_roles table.  So in that case, you need to do what Khalid
      suggests:  INSERT a row into the user_roles table.

Now that I'm doing both of these things, I'm getting correct behavior on
both registration of new users and update of existing users.

Thanks,
Rob