[development] Time for a new chapter of an endless debate

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Mon Jul 3 01:05:56 UTC 2006

Hi,

> I'm down on consistencies sake. I'm also into the flexability of arrays.
> Our occasional use of objects don't allow us to do anything useful with
> them. Where we do have objects, they don't have any methods. So whats
> the point of keeping them around?

There are a couple of reasons why we do not change.

1. Objects are easier to work with than arrays, but then again, it is 6
of 1, half a dozen of the other.

2. What is changing going to get us? We would spend the next 6 months
moving all the code so that we use arrays over objects, and we will be
no further ahead. There is no gain or loss.

3. I remember reading somewhere long ago. Dries likes them over arrays.

This is like saying nodes are crap, and we should change them to the
next greatest XYZ.

Gordon.