[development] Time for a new chapter of an endless debate

Nick Lewis nick at nicklewis.org
Mon Jul 3 03:42:00 UTC 2006

Steve Dondley wrote:
> Think of all the little php snippets, custom blocks, *.tpl.php, etc.
> files that use object notation instead of arrays.
I actually wouldn't mind the work on the sites I'm responsible for if it
meant putting an end to that sick little game I play everyday where I
ask, "do I get to you through $foo->bar, $foo['bar'], or are you a very
special $foo[0]->bar? and are you the same if I'm dealing with you in
hook.module, a template.php, or a node.tpl.php?" ['the answer is often
no'].  The inconsistency has a tendency to be very annoying, imho. Not
to mention... the methods used in about 60% of the snippets in the
handbook make the hair on the back of my neck stand up... forcing a
rewrite of some of them might not be a totally bad thing.

Can anyone here give an explanation of the status quo"an object here, an
array there, and an intelligible pattern nowhere" that goes beyond,
"well... that's just how its always been, and some things are now
dependent on it, and its going to be a pain the ass to change it..."?

Maybe I'm alone here, but I think that moving to make drupal's code more
logical, consistent and predictable is a critical priority -- as high as
usability, sexiness, ajaxitiviy,etc etc. Regardless of there being no
immediate benefits on the feature/performance level, we should consider
the value of having a platform that new developers describe as
"friendly, and intuitive".

Best,
Nick Lewis
"captain obvious"