[development] Modules: The Hit List

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Sat Jul 8 08:57:05 UTC 2006

On 7/8/06, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08 Jul 2006, at 07:38, Jeff Eaton wrote:
> > Since it's turning into this discussion again, I figure I'll lay out
> > what *I* think should be cut, and why.
>
> I'm _not_ OK with removing the aggregator, forum module or poll
> module -- to name a few of the modules on Jeff's list.  The only
> module I'd be happy to remove is the archive module.

+1...or rather, replace it with an improved version: especially with
something like Drupal (everything is a slice and dice of content that lives
in the DB), browsing by date out of the box is a useful feature. Yes, views
does a good job. Anybody want to take a crack at a minimal views.inc that
takes care of this + tracker?

It's not about what modules you use or what modules you care about.
> It is all about trust.

Yes!

People continue to point out that install profiles will solve
> things.  Maybe.

They are one direction that currently look good. I, as a long time
supporter/promoter of install profiles, also stress the "maybe"...people
need to step up and take a crack at creating them. Ideally, a great dev
combined with a passionate community leader (blogging, education, etc.) can
really make things happen.

So...once again, rather than lists, take actual steps like (dev) rolling
patches or (community) defining/configuring/documenting great install
profiles. Heck, no reason we can't ship with 3 install profiles that are
mainly config bundles in core. Community, pro blogger, and brochureware seem
like obvious choices.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747