[development] Caching, caching, caching...

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 08:21:49 UTC 2006

On 12 Jul 2006, at 00:01, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Now the question is if we want to go down this road. To properly
> invalidate the cache requires to implement all sorts of hooks (forum
> module needs _comment and _user for example) which you would not need
> otherwise. This complicates the code quite a bit.

Personally, I'd not optimize with MySQL's query cache in mind.  If
the folks at MySQL improve their query cache implementation, our
efforts might have been moot.  I'd focus my energy on high-level
improvements, rather than low-level improvements.  That is, I'd focus
architectural changes that reduce the number of SQL queries or that
simplify complex queries (eg. less joins).  For example, the node
table and node_comment_statistics table have a one-on-one relation
and could potentially be merged.  I'm not sure what it would buy us,
but it might be worth it.

Maybe we should run the modified devel.module on drupal.org to see
what the most expensive queries are?  You know, accumulate results
over multiple page views.  Do we have recent data query data from
drupal.org?  Let's start by identifying some key bottlenecks.