[development] install system

Frando (Franz Heinzmann) frando at xcite-online.de
Thu Jul 13 19:11:40 UTC 2006

There is still the idea of some kind of "Golden Modules" floating
around. These could fill the gap between Core and Contrib.
I think the result of the last discussion here includet the following:

* Versioning for Contrib - http://drupal.org/node/58066
* The "Golden Modules" (e.g. Views, Workflow, everything that gets
removed from core) will have a prominent position on the drupal modules
download page
* They will have a real release cylce, so they have always to have a
version that's considered stable
* If one of the modules is not actvily maintained anymore, it gets
removed from The List
* By releasing a new core version, these modules have to be ready

--> So the Golden Modules would be treated similar to core. However,
they could possibly have releases between core releases. Out of that
pool of core-like modules people will take the ones they need.

The result would be a lightweight, slim core that gets its power from
the core-like "Golden Modules" and can then be extended by contrib.

On drupal.org, there could then be different install profiles with
everywhere the same, slim core extended by the fitting "Golden Modules".
  As they have all to have nearly core-like quality to be a Golden
Module, the effort to maintain a install profile containing only core
and "Golden Modules" should be far smaller than maintaing an install
profile that contains lots of contrib.

btw, "Golden Modules" is propably not a good name, it's just some word
that was floating around for quite a while now ...

best regards,
frando