[development] translation for the installer?

Jeremy Andrews jeremy at kerneltrap.org
Fri Jul 14 16:33:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:10:55 +0200
Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Jeremy Andrews wrote:
> >
> > Where you run into a problem is when there's shared
> > messages, ie as is desired by the requirements api which
> > could also be used by Drupal itself when enabling
> > modules, as well as by the installer during initial
> > setup.  Any text displayed by Drupal is already wrapped
> > in t(), so I think the logical thing to do is to expand t
> > () to support both reading mappings from text fiels in
> > addition to from the database.  Then t() could be
> > consistently used in all code, including the installer.
>
> t() is called at least several dozen times per page, any
> complication should be avoided. The installer is a one time
> thing and should not impact the running of the site.

Yes, but my point is that there are instances where the same
message will need to displayed by the installer and by Drupal
core.  All messages displayed by drupal core are wrapped in
t().  So either t() needs to support non-database
translations, or...?

A specific example of where this could happen is in the
forthcoming requirements api.

Cheers,
  -Jeremy