[development] translation for the installer?

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Fri Jul 14 17:02:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 15:45 +0200, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked through the installer code. It obvisouly does not even try to t()
> strings, since a database is not yet in place. My quite is how to tackle
> the issue of translating the installer to different languages.
>
>   - do not care about this, the installer is just a short process,
>     only database setup, and then the profile can easily handle
>     importing the translation and then on use that translation for
>     install wizards

-1, When you install OS X or Linux, or even windows I think... The first
question you are usually asked is what language you want to use for the
installation and the system. I think some experts probably figured out
that it was a good idea.

>   - load in the PO import code (locale.inc) and import a PO file for the
>     installer if available into memory. the installer PO file should be
>     small, so this should not be a resource problem.

+1, why not use what we already got?

>   - come up with some custom process of providing translations for
>     the installer, like a simple key->value pair text file.

-1, bah. already got PO's and people know how to edit them.

> Since PO parsing is already done, translators are already familiar with PO
> editing and translation, the second option might be doable. We just need a
> simplified t() implementation for the installer, which works from the
> associative array loaded in by the PO import code.

> It would be nice to provide a localized installer from the very start, and
> with the solutions proposed it would only need another file (installer.po)
> copied into the profiles folder before running the installer.

I think necessary.