[development] translation for the installer?

Jeremy Andrews jeremy at kerneltrap.org
Fri Jul 14 22:04:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:35:44 +0200 (CEST)
Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that the requirements API based
> stuff will load after the database is ready, so that a full
> bootstrap can be made and normal translation support
> utilized?

The way I had conceived things when designing the original
patch involved checking all requirements prior to performing
an installation.  Verify there is a supported database of
recent enough version available.  Verify that the webserver
is of a valid version with required mods.  Verify that PHP is
new enough with required extensions.  Etc.

It sounds like it makes sense to instead just do a very bare
minimum of requirement checking (ie, valid database type) to
get the database configured, bootstrap Drupal, and then
perform the rest of the requirement checks using the core
requirements api.  As the installer is tested by a wider set
of users, we may find that the "bare minimum of requirement
checking" may need to be more than just checking the database
type, but I imagine the list would remain small and could
easily be hard coded.

Cheers,
 -Jeremy