[development] Object caching

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 22:12:46 UTC 2006

This is a fork from the Caching, caching, caching thread.

I have opened an issue to start testing the gains for using an object cache
on commonly-loaded objects ($user, $node, $block, $profile, $comment, $term)
at http://drupal.org/node/74020

The patches apply against HEAD.  (Be gentle, they are my first CVS patches.)

I'm currently using this approach in 4.6 to run the (very large)
SavannahNow.com site and reduce database overhead.

I'm currently testing a stripped-down HEAD install on a Mac PowerBook G4, so
the testing numbers listed there may be misleading.

I toyed with the idea of creating some new functions for cache.inc to make
retrieving objects easier, but for the time being am just using cache_set,
cache_get, and cache_clear_all.

One question: has file-based caching made it into HEAD yet?

-- Ken Rickard
drupal: agentrickard
gmail: agentrickard