[development] Caching, caching, caching...

Richard Eriksson bryghtrichard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 00:17:26 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net> wrote:
> > Looking through the maasive use of the path.module and the
> > mass_url.module we can say people do want fancy _and_ easy to
> > remember url's..
>
> that would be a complete nightmare for issue nodes, since the titles
> can change all the time, yet people need easy to paste, unique URLs
> to refer to issues with.

How often do titles change?  So asks the guy who avoids using the
title in URL aliases because he changes titles.

> also, titles can contain a lot of characters that aren't valid URLs...
>
> there's a reason path.module and mass_url.module are in contrib...
> not everyone wants that behavior (for good reason).  personally,
> leaving things as /node/X by default (with optional aliases where
> desired) is sort of like having your site automatically filtered
> through tinyurl.com. ;)

path.module is in core, mass_url hasn't had a checkin for over a year:

http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/mass_url/mass_url.module

Did you mean the Pathauto module?

I've been trying to think of a way to have short e-mail-friendly URLs
redirect automatically to their long, informative bretheren.  I think
TinyURL and their clones are useful only (and yes, only) when saying
URLs in voice conversation.  Otherwise we say "here, I'm sending you a
link" while in voice conversation or just URL-slap in IM or IRC, and
it's the full link while TinyURL-like services don't tell you where
you're going, making the reader wary of clicking on it.

(Of course it takes a discussion about URL aliases to get me to de-lurk.)

--
Richard Eriksson
http://www.bryght.com/