[development] Object caching

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Thu Jul 20 23:13:35 UTC 2006

At 4:13 PM -0500 20/7/06, George Kappel wrote:

>I have just started using Drupal but have seen issues where the existing
>database cache is a bottleneck.
>
>My menu has 5,000 items and the overhead to build it, serialize,cache in the
>db,unserialize was very high making it unuseable.
>
>The serialized menu was approx 1.9M according to the DB
>
>The workaround was to prevent the builtin caching and store the $_menu in
>APC user cache.

Do you have any figures showing the improvement from this
change? I benchmarked APC a while ago (v3.0.8) and couldn't
manage to show a significant performance increase.

Data stored in APC is also serialized and unserialized.
You're only saving the database call and with a busy site
and a well-tuned database this result should be served
from RAM.

Not to mention, you still need to build the menu when
it changes and that's where the real overhead occurs.

 ...R.