[development] Caching, caching, caching...

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Sat Jul 22 16:35:17 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> Thoughts?

Can I suggest a #6?

6.  Cache by role, not by user.

     We already cache for one role (Anonymous User). In the vast
     majority of cases (we'd need to no-cache the exceptions), pages
     which are not cached at all for logged-in users actually vary
     only by role, not uid.

     If we break a cached page down into constituent parts:

       1. $comments, $content, $links, most blocks, insert-others-here
       2. per-user blocks, insert-others-here

     ...then we can cache anything in group 1, once for each role.

This would *seriously* speed up high-volume interactive sites,
and can be implemented at the theme-function level.

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames now.  :)

John Handelaar

E  john at handelaar.org    T +353 21 427 9033
M  +353 85 748 3790    http://handelaar.org