[development] Object caching

Jakub Suchy jakub at rtfm.cz
Mon Jul 24 12:06:45 UTC 2006

Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Saturday 22 July 2006 16:19, Khalid B wrote:
>
> > I don't think it is bad denormalization in this case.
> >
> > What we have now is a one to many relationship of node  -> alias, and
> > we allow multiple aliases for the same node.
> >
> > If we go to a 1:1 relationship, then the logical place for the alias is in
> > the object that it represents (term, user, node), and this would speed
> > up things for certain operations (e.g. emitting an alias instead of
> > the native path), but potentially slow others (looking up an incoming
> > alias and converting to the native path?)
> >
> > What we lose here is the ability for multiple aliases.
>

> I don't see how we do.  It just declares one alias "primary".
>
> That is, if node 5 has an alias of my/fifth/node in the node table, that is
> the alias that is used for any output.  Vis, system-generated links to node/5
> are always rewritten to my/fifth/node.
>
> The separate alias table then is for *incoming* paths.  You can have as many
> aliases for a page as you want for incoming requests, but only one for Drupal
> output.  (And really, why would you want to have multiple aliases that get
> printed by Drupal?  That only confuses people.)
>
> As an example, suppose you have a weekly newsletter, with each newsletter
> being a node.  The alias for each newsletter would be its date, say
> newsletter/2006-07-22.  That's the primary alias, and that's in the node
> table.  Then there's also an alias newsletter/latest that points to whichever
> is most recent (updated however), which you can put into mailings and such.
> Once the user's there, however, there's no reason to not send them to the
> dated alias.
>
> So we're not losing multi-alias support at all, at least not really.

Multi-aliases are BAD. We should avoid them as much as possible,
unfortunately we can't drop support for them.
newsletter/2006-07-22 is good, but newsletter/latest should be 301
redirect to newsletter/2006-07-22. Path module should support this

--
Jakub Suchý <jakub.suchy at logios.cz>
GSM: +420 - 777 817 949

LOGIOS s.r.o, V Podhájí 776/30, 400 01 Ústí nad Labem
tel.: +420 - 474 745 159, fax: +420 - 474 745 160
e-mail: info at logios.cz, web: http://www.logios.cz