[development] Design Flaws in Drupal Caching System

Geoff Staples geoff at radioleft.com
Wed Jul 26 04:34:00 UTC 2006

Here's another cache problem:

Take a look at this site:

http://www.krxa540.com

In the upper left is a "What's on now" block. I created this by using in
the block to display the correct info based on current time. But, when I
turn on the cache, whatever show was on at the time the cache was turned
on stays there forever.

It occurs to me that individual blocks, pages should have a lifetime
parameter so that they can expire as needed for things to run properly.
Theoretically, that means you could set the lifetime on a particular
page or block to "0" and that page or block would never get cached.

Here's another possibility: How about setting a block to "Don't Cache".
Then the actual code for that block would be stored in the cached page
and would therefore execute when the cached page is displayed. In my
KRXA example, the entire page would be cached. But, the "What's on now
code" would be inserted into the cached page so it would execute when
the page is displayed.

I understand that this would make the caching less efficient. But, it
would also allow the caching to be used and still allow some dynamic
page content.

Note that on the KRXA site, there's also a weather module. Caching
freezes this as well.

Geoff

--
Geoff Staples

Warning. Use this email system for confidential communications at your own risk. The President of the United States has issued an executive order allowing the National Security Agency to surveil domestic email, telephonic communication, U. S. Mail and all other forms of communicaton. Although no communication can be guaranteed to be secure, confidential communications made in person at an unknown location arranged via pigeon carrier, smoke signal, or commercial courier are suggested.