[development] the past, present and future of drupal admin

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Wed Jul 26 15:47:06 UTC 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 12:05 AM, Kristjan Jansen wrote:

> Whatever happened to that (Vacouver? Civicspage? Bryght?) card sort
> thing?

Quick history: Dries identified last August at OSCON that the most
important code in Drupal was the project module, because most of the
things the Drupal community did went through it.  CivicSpace improved
the project module, through funding Nedjo and lots of personal
contributions from Nedjo and Dries.  There was good contributions to
the project module from the community to help improve it,  as well as
many calls from the community to kill it.

The administration survey surprisingly indicated that 83% of Drupal
administrators spent a lot of time looking for new features and
modules.   We extended the project module to make it easier to
categorize modules.  We did several iterations of categorizing Drupal
project modules.   One iteration was done in Vancouver.   We did some
additional iterations on the mailing list and voila:

http://drupal.org/project/Modules/category

It's probably time to do another categorization of the modules.  If
you are interested in doing that categorization I can help you lead
that effort.  It's also worth noting that Derek took over maintenance
of the project module and he could probably do with some dedicated
user experience help to make it even better.  No expertise needed,
just a willingness to learn.

Cheers,
Kieran