[development] the past, present and future of drupal admin

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Jul 27 10:58:42 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 27 juli 2006 09:54, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> the mental model is probably going to be Windows XP and
> they would expect all settings to be grouped and have fancy icons.

Which, AFAIKT is the number one reason why Joomla works very well for
not-so-frequent-maintained sites and new admins. (lets not get into a fight
whether or not Joomla does things better, or so) It is just to chime in on
that mental map idea.

* Joomla offers a very visual "map", both in menus (dropdowns with icons) and
in the dashboard (Large Icons).
* Joomla has a very consistent "map" because of the separate admin area. Our
flexibility (everyone can make his/her site different) defeats this very
much. A consistent admin theme for core would help this consistency a LOT,
because ~90% of the drupal sites' administration would be consistent again.
Now we see small difference such as a main menu right on SiteA and left on
SiteB breaking this "map".

 Bèr

(The mental map in Joomla is very much spoiled by the fact they have a
strange "bolt on" concept for plugins/extensions etc. That to avoid
discussions about "but Jommla is not perfect either. No its not, but this
particular problem has some great things for us to learn from.)