[development] Modules page rework

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jul 29 17:47:00 UTC 2006

Earl/Steven P

Screenshot is too wide. My laptop is set to 1024x768 and only part of the
screen shot was showing.

> > On 29 Jul 2006, at 18:00, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> >> looks like a big improvement to me. if you are into experimenting, i
> >> would try this out with just a table and no fieldsets. use subtabs for
> >> things like 'contrib', 'installed'. the default should show lots of
> >> modules i would think, like today.
> >
> > Here is WordPress' forthcoming plugin manager:
> >
> >   http://www.brokenkode.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Plugins.jpg
> >
> > My first impression is that it a lot easier to the eye than Earl's
> > proposal.
> >
> >  - The module names are links that take you to the corresponding
> > settings page.
>
> Not sure this is an improvement, it isn't really clear or intuitive.
> Maybe an extra column for this?

I am with Gerhard on this.

I hate non obvious settings. This sacrifices clarity for the sake of
screen real estate. An explicit settings link would be best. If thereare
objections to it then a title tag that says "settings  for xxx module"
is a must.

> >  - They are not using checkboxes but buttons.
>
> -- on buttons. Each button will need to trigger a page reload and
> enabling more than two or three modules will be a pain.

Again I agree. Buttons allow only one module to be enabled/disabled.
That is a step backwards from what we have today.