[development] LinksDB vs. Links
kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jul 31 02:27:12 UTC 2006
Coming late to a discussion I myself started.
I have faced a similar problem with sections module. I knew it was in
development, but it was still under development, and not branched. I
wrote my own path_theme that does almost the same, but did what the
I think this instance has a few lessons for the community:
- Something that is too ambitious projects tend to falter despite the
best of intentions.
- If something is not branched, it is still considered development/unstable.
- Sometimes, it is better to give up the project for adoption rather
than letting it languish.
- Release an API if you have one, and let the upper layers use it
(your modules or others').
- Don't let other projects that are in development stop you from
writing something for a client/project. If you can piggy back or pool
the effort, then great. If not, people will write things themselves.
- Advertise your projects so others don't duplicate the functionality.
Having something that works is one thing, and getting the word out are
too different things.
I am sure there are other lessons, this is what I can improvise for now though.
More information about the development