[development] LinksDB vs. Links

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jul 31 02:27:12 UTC 2006

Coming late to a discussion I myself started.

I have faced a similar problem with sections module. I knew it was in
development, but it was  still under development, and not branched. I
wrote my own path_theme that does almost the same, but did what the
client needed.

I think this instance has a few lessons for the community:

- Something that is too ambitious projects tend to falter despite the
best of intentions.

- If something is not branched, it is still considered development/unstable.

- Sometimes, it is better to give up the project for adoption rather
than letting it languish.

- Release an API if you have one, and let the upper layers use it
(your modules or others').

- Don't let other projects that are in development stop you from
writing something for a client/project. If you can piggy back or pool
the effort, then great. If not, people will write things themselves.

- Advertise your projects so others don't duplicate the functionality.
Having something that works is one thing, and getting the word out are
too different things.

I am sure there are other lessons, this is what I can improvise for now though.