[development] LinksDB vs. Links

Matthew Jenkins mattj at inty.net
Mon Jul 31 08:14:52 UTC 2006

On 28 Jul 2006, at 20:29, Syscrusher wrote:

> On Friday 28 July 2006 10:40, Matthew Jenkins wrote:
>> and there's nothing wrong with a little diversity - different ways of
>> looking at the same problems, etc...
>
> For the record, I have absolutely no problem with others building
> whatever
> link-handling modules they wish, using or not using my API as they
> prefer. I'm
> a firm believer in the Open Source philosophy of letting the user
> community
> filter for the best code by voting with their feet. I created Links to
> scratch
> my own itch, because there was nothing else that did exactly what I
> wanted, and
> am sharing it with anyone else who can use it. There's no reason why
> we have to
> have just one links solution, any more than there is any reason why we
> can only
> have one theme engine or one photo album manager.

That's exactly why I created LinksDB as well.  To 'scratch my own itch'
as you put it.  I create dthe module originally for me, and so as not
to be selfish I allowed the rest of the community to benefit from it as
they wish.  They don't have to if they don't want to, but some have, so
that makes me glad I did release it.

> The main philosophy behind Links is to have each unique URL stored
> only *once*
> in the system, and therefore dead links detection and related admin
> functions
> only have to visit each unique URL *once* per iteration. Point
> solutions are
> leaner and cleaner if you only need to use URLs in one way on your
> site (e.g.,
> just a Yahoo-like directory and nothing else). Links API is built to
> handle the
> larger-scale situation, and there may indeed be a case to be made for
> a point
> solution for the entry-level user who just wants a place to put links
> and
> doesn't need to have a scalable management backend for them later. :-)

The main philosophy behind LinksDB is to have a simple out-of-the-box
links database which a newcommer to Drupal can turn on and fill in a
few boxes to get going.  I imagine your Links solution would appeal
more to the advanced user who is looking for a more customisable
experience.  LinksDB doesn't do that - it has one look and feel with a
couple of bells and whistles you can turn on and off and that's about
it.

> Different strokes for different folks, and all that. Maybe when Links
> and
> LinksDB are both done (I don't know the release status of the latter)
> we can
> collaborate on a point-by-point feature comparison to help admins
> choose the
> right one for their site.

Sure thing.  LinksDB is 'done' but is always getting enhancement
requests that I'm more than happy to accommodate.

> Scott (Syscrusher)

Matt (Flibs)

> --------
> Syscrusher (Scott Courtney)          Drupal page:
> http://drupal.org/user/9184
> syscrusher at 4th dot com            Home page:     http://4th.com/
>
> Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY -
> www.maildefender.net

Information in this electronic mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our customers, any information contained in this message is subject to intY's Terms & Conditions. Please rely on your own virus scanning and procedures with regard to any attachments to this message.

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net