[development] Drupal Administration survey II -- looking volunteers to do interviews

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Mon Jul 31 17:04:26 UTC 2006

On Jul 30, 2006, at 11:26 PM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2006, at 19:59, Kieran Lal wrote:
>> I am looking for some volunteers to help re-design the survey and
>> make sure the questions will lead to effective responses.   The
>> survey should help the Drupal development community understand
>> Drupal users and the goal and needs of Drupal administrators.  I
>> am asking the Drupal development community to help conduct 10 live
>> interviews to help to refine the survey questions and language
>
> I can probably do one live interview.  How would it work?

Great!

I detailed the questions in my response to Steven Peck.   You'll need
to do the interview in an interactive way so that you can ask for
clarification and explore interesting ideas that come up.  IRC, IM,
Voice, Live are all acceptable ways to conduct the interviews.

The goal is to do 10 interviews and use the responses from the
interviews to build the survey.  For example question  5& 6 here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/DisplaySummary.asp?
SID=1425065&U=142506581557 .  I'll want to rediscover what the common
and important task are for Drupal 4.7 administration.  I suspect many
of those tasks will no longer be hard or no longer be the most
important tasks.

I suspect the interview should take 20 to 30 minutes.  If the
interviewee has trouble listing tasks or has short answers it's often
a good idea to ask things they have done in the past.   Past
recollections are often better then asking people what they did
because interviewees will be biased to please you.   For example,
instead of saying what do you think is hard about using Drupal, try
tell me about when you upgraded your site from 4.6 to 4.7.   How long
did it take, did you do it quickly, did you have to wait to find the
time to upgrade.  Did you have to get help, what did you need help with?

Dries, thanks for showing leadership in improving the user experience
by doing an interview. Hopefully, other developers will follow your
lead and help to do some interviews as well.

Cheers,
Kieran