[development] Drupal Administration survey II -- looking volunteers to do interviews

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Mon Jul 31 18:53:04 UTC 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Gary Feldman wrote:

> Kieran Lal wrote:
>> Hello, I would like launch a second Drupal Administration Survey
>> this week.  Here is the first one: http://www.surveymonkey.com/
>> DisplaySummary.asp?SID=1425065&U=142506581557 <http://
>> www.surveymonkey.com/DisplaySummary.asp?SID=1425065&U=142506581557>
>>
>> I am looking for some volunteers to help re-design the survey and
>> make sure the questions will lead to effective responses.   The
>> survey should help the Drupal development community understand
>> Drupal users and the goal and needs of Drupal administrators.
> By mentioning both users and administrators, you're suggesting that
> there really should be two surveys, going to two different groups
> of people.  Is that what you intended?

No, I should have said Drupal administrators in both cases.  This
effort is targeted specifically at Drupal administrators.

> Can you state some more specific goals for the survey?

To understand Drupal administrators situation when they are
administering, their goals, and the tasks they are trying to complete.

> The first survey looks like it was trying to identify the most
> important activity and/or module for improvement.  Is that still
> the goal?

The survey was part of a larger effort to improve Drupal
administration. The survey specifically helped to identify tasks
Drupal administrators were trying to accomplish so we could improve
their ability to complete those tasks.

> Or are you interested in other dimensions (e.g. the most important
> attributes from a list such as features, reliability, performance,
> ease of learning, user perceptions,  etc.)?

Surveys serve a narrow purpose.  They allow broad participation from
the community as a whole and they help provide feedback to the Drupal
core development process.  I would use different user experience
techniques to evaluate some of these measures.  For example, I use
analysis of search terms on Drupal.org and comments in the Drupal
handbook to track what people are interested in and what they are
having trouble learning.

> Another way to phrase my question is what decisions do you hope to
> make based on the results of the survey?

I can't make decisions for the larger community, but I would hope
that developers, consulting firms, and Drupal site owners would
choose to put their resources to improving the most difficult and
important tasks identified in the survey.

I would use the results to direct where CivicSpace makes it's
investments in improving the user experience of administering
Drupal.  I would encourage and validate others efforts to do
likewise.  For example, in the last survey we identified that making
your theme work across all browsers was the most difficult Drupal
administration task.  If that result was validated again in this
survey I'd probably post emails and contact consulting firms and
customers encouraging them to fund Drupal theming improvements.

In the survey I identified categorization as being the third most
"Very Difficult task".  I didn't understand why. I conducted a small
follow up survey for a dozen people to understand why categorization
was important.  What I learned was the for non-profits and advocacy
groups it was very important that they are able to communicate the
structure of their organization and the goals of their organization
through their website categorization.  I also learned that these
users treated categorization as three distinct tasks: managing
categories, navigating by categories, organizing by categories.
That lead to a review of over 20 taxonomy modules and we built a
taxonomy garden to make it easier for Drupal administrator to
understand how to use categories and the available modules.  You can
see the results of that work here:

http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/taxonomy
http://drupal.org/node/47822  Managing categories
http://drupal.org/node/47623 Navigating by categories
http://drupal.org/node/47527 Organizing content by categories

I haven't had time to push for changes to categories in core yet, but
I'll get around to eventually.

I hope that provides some context for how the survey results are useful.

Cheers,
Kieran