[development] Student developer looking for some drupal mentoring

Trevor Mckeown tmckeown at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 17:07:44 UTC 2006

On 6/1/06, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> > Is there a developer's IRC channel I could ask a few questions on?   I
>
> #drupal on irc.freenode.net

Thanks, I will start trolling the IRC channels now

> > have started work on two module of my own, and i need a little
> > guidance on how to start a project on the drupal site and some help
> > answering a few miscellaneous questions.
>
> Sure, check out api.drupal.org first.

This site has been my life line.  A lot of the examples are very good,
especially the howto on creating modules and new node types.

> > I am a student, who managed to get an internship developing drupal
> > modules for the summer.  I've talked it over with my boss and we are
> > going to contribute all the work I do back to the community. I was
>
> get a CVS account: drupal.org/cvs-account

I've got a CVS account ... do I just need to log in and create a new
directory to start a project?  I have two modules I am currently
working on.  One download that simulates a permission based tree
stucture for downloading (we hope to add CVS and directory syncing
capabilities to this one) and the Mantis module for the integration.
Both of these modules are in the very early stages, but they offer
some functionality that could be improve apon.

> > Please take a look around and if anyone is willing to act as a mentor
> > or wants to lend a hand you can contact me off list.
>
> People on #drupal  are usually helpful if there is a concrete,
> development related question. "Development" means core or contrib
> development, not "how do I set up my site to do this or that?". This
> last comment wasn't for you, though. We also have #drupal-support for
> the latter type of questions.

How about questions like what is the best way to accomplish
functionality with X api or questions about node operations.?  Support
or dev?

Thanks

--Trevor