[development] tango icons no longer "allowed" in contribs.

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Jun 1 19:44:30 UTC 2006

Hello fellow developers and themers.

First of all, I hope we can all hold our breath, and fingers and not start
another thread out of this. You might not agree, but leave that for other
times and places. Thank you ;)

Tango icons use Creative commons (CC) as their licence.
Whether or not CC is compatible, transformable, integratable or anything else
is not the point here.

The result is that you cannot use tango icons in contribs, as was our policy
for a while. If you have a project using tango (or any CC icons or work, in
fact) make sure you either replace them with your own work or one of the
various nice GPL icons around. Make sure you do this an all branches
(releases).
If you find modules that still use tango icons, or any other incompatible
licence, please contact the owner, or leave an issue in the queue for that
project.

Dries -and the other contrib maintainers- want to keep contribs Pure GPL. This
is for simpicity.

« We're not lawyers, so let's try not to
make up our own rules, or mix licenses without knowing what we are
doing. » -- Dries

With regards, Bèr