[development] Download statistics for core

blogdiva at culturekitchen.com blogdiva at culturekitchen.com
Fri Jun 2 15:45:05 UTC 2006

On  02.Jun.2006, at 11:35, blogdiva at culturekitchen.com wrote:

> As I have told many a software / net artist : If a child cannot use
> the artwork consider the UI a failure. In the case of Drupal, you
> dont have to make it easy for a 6 year old to install and maintain,
> but you may want to think more along the lines of ... and yeah, I
> can be sexist about this ... cheerleaders in tight abercrombie and
> fitch wet tshirts wanting to make their own "suicide girls" site.
>
> This, I insist, is the trend that's going to explode in the next 18
> months.

I hit the send button too soon.

One more point I want to make about demographics and usability.

57% of bloggers are women. Women tend to make communities with their
blogs; which is why a big chunk of these women bloggers used to be
found in LiveJournal. The two fastest growing services at the moment
are MySpace and Facebook.

In my chunk of the blogosphere (I am on the advisory board of
BlogHer), most women are running multiple sites : a blog, a myspace,
a livejournal and if they are young enough a facebook. As someone
following the growing audiences of some of these women (I am writing
an article about this for a major US magazine), i can see that it's
becoming increasingly difficult for these power users to manage all
their blogs --because the more connected they are elsewhere, the more
traffic and demands of community interactivity the are getting from
their commenters. In other words, MySpace and Facebook are
transforming the blogosphere. People dont want to be just commenters.
They want to be part of a community.

I could go on and on. I'll post on my site and y'all can follow up
there.

Cheers,
liza