[development] User registration without email

Robert Wohleb rob at techsanctuary.com
Tue Jun 6 10:21:31 UTC 2006

I've seen people post patches to past versions of Drupal that allow user
registration without requiring an email address. I've recently written a
patch to user.module for 4.7 that does the same.

The reasoning behind this is due to the application. We are using Drupal
for an intranet where access to employee information is not possible,
and email is not allowed. Because of this, users have to register and an
admin has to approve.

I have something that works so I don't need to know how to do it. What I
need to know is if there is a better way and if this has any chance of
getting in to core. At the moment I just patch user.module. Is it
possible to do this with a module? If not, is there enough interest to
get this as a core option? Whare are the core developers' takes on this?

~Rob