[development] Move multiple theme per site support to contrib module

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Wed Jun 7 13:54:48 UTC 2006

On 07 Jun 2006, at 2:14 AM, Jeremy Epstein wrote:

> - The views module has become very popular. IMO, the word "view" is
> 'taken' by the views module, for better or for worse. When people
> think of a view in Drupal, they think "custom node listing".
> Therefore, giving the word "view" a second definition (associated with
> themes) is a bad move, and will just lead to confusion.

Yes. It being called views is unfortunate. As it's actually a
listings api =)
When the core query builder and the like gets into core, I also
recommend
it be called that =).

The display view is even not my favorite use for the word. The next
version
of FAPI will have clearly delineated MVC boundaries. Calling the view
(node views, summary views etc) anything but 'view' is a big problem
for me =)

> Why change the definition of the word "theme" in Drupal? The word
> "theme" is more of a general / all-encompassing word, in the
> dictionary sense, and in the computer sense. In MS Windows, for
> example, a "theme" is: "a background plus a set of icons, sounds, and
> other elements to help you personalize your computer". The word
> "skin", OTOH, is more specifically related to visual display, colours,
> positioning, etc. If we add a new logical level to the display system
> in Drupal, then "theme" should be the top-level general entity, and
> "skin" (or some other word) should be the specific look-and-feel
> entity that can be associated with one or more themes, and perhaps
> configured differently per-theme.
I like that thinking =)

--
Adrian Rossouw