Weights are not the solution? Re: [development] altering an altered form

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Jun 9 13:42:48 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 8 juni 2006 05:19, schreef Karoly Negyesi:
> Yes. system.weight defines calling order always.

weights aer nothing more then another layer.
What if you alter an altered form, where the other one has a weight set?
weights don't really solve any issue, they just move the issue of conflicts
one level away.

I beleive we should get rid of the weights in favour of something like:
  * roundtrips. A hook not only returns a value, but also a flag whether the
current hook call should be
	* Stopped right now, and reran from start, but then containing the current
	  data.
	* Continued and stopped after a complete roundtrip, just like Drupal does
	  now.
	* Continued and reran after a complete roundtrip,  but then containing the
	  current data.

   This is particularly hard because you need to build in measures to not end
in endless loops.

  * Hook registration. Instead of looking around if a hook exists on each
pageload, all modules register their hooks. A central API *and* a UI can then
allow us to reorder, switch on/off, ignore etc hooks.

Yes, both are a lot of work. And no, I am not volunteering :) And yes,I feel I
am alowed to speak about this, without actually coding it.

--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| Jabber & Google Talk: ber at jabber.webschuur.com
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |

Drupal upgrade repareert kritiek beveiligingslek:
 http://help.sympal.nl/drupal_upgrade_repareert_kritiek_beveiligingslek