[development] Data-driven database tables and updates

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Jun 12 04:18:19 UTC 2006

On 6/11/06, Khalid B <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> I am not sure if anything can be done here to improve this though. There is
> no silvert bullet for this one.

I agree very much with Khalid on these points.  I was quite surprised
that subscription module uses serialize/unserialize of arrays and does
it's matching in PHP instead of in the db.  The db is tens of times
(hundreds, thousands?) faster at doing matching than a PHP loop.

Probably the best thing to do is get more database savvy folks
interested in helping out with Drupal.  I'm not sure what the best way
is to do that.  Advertise to MySQL User Groups?  My proposed solution
of getting more db developer's involved probably points more towards
keeping as much in standard SQL as possible so that they recognize it
when they see it.

Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com