[development] Re: [consulting] Module to view/edit module weights

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Fri Jun 16 18:18:55 UTC 2006

Khalid B wrote:
> There was criticism about weights in the past (I think it was Ber?)

I agree with the criticisms.

> However, I think the lack of an interface to manipulate the underlying data
> structure was the main objection to this.
>
> Remember that a mechanism similar to weights is used in UNIX/Linux
> init scripts (each daemon is given a 3 digit number and they are started
> in order).

How many people actually use that? I've never even seen such a 3 digit
number in Gentoo. (I believe there is a dependency system or something,
I don't ever need to look at it.)

> Now that we have an interface that can manipulate the weights, perhaps
> the main criticism is moot.

Great.. we can change numbers. How do we explain what the heck to do
with them?

> This is similar to update-rc.d in Debian/Ubuntu.

Never used it, I'm going to guess a majority of Drupal administrators
haven't either.

> But perhaps we will move to a before/after scheme as hinted to (Adrian?
> Vlado?)

I haven't really read much or thought about before/after schemes. I
think in some cases such conflicts can be solved on a case-by-case basis
without adding whole systems. If that is possible, it should be done. I
don't really like the thought of having APIs on top of APIs. At some
point it gets complex enough and starts breaking.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/