[development] Staging content to production servers

Barry Jaspan barry at jaspan.org
Sat Jun 17 12:40:38 UTC 2006

>I've started to address this issue by reserving the first 1000 ids for the
>"staging" (or if you prefer, "install profile").

I think this is an excellent idea that perhaps makes my suggestion to
split config vs. data tables into two databases obsolete.  Some thoughts:

- If we had data-driven database schemas, your drupal_base_db.txt
script (or its built-in equivalent) would (a) not need to hard-code
the list of tables not to copy (the schema would identify them) and
(b) not need to use fragile-looking MySQL-specific regular
expressions and SHOW queries to do its job.

- Not every table needs an id field, only those for which you want to
reserve some id space.  Pure config tables (e.g. system) can be
copied in their entirety.  The schema could identify such tables so
processing them correctly would be easy.

Barry